Home Uncategorized Blenheim a ‘truly amazing community’ says family following house fire

Blenheim a ‘truly amazing community’ says family following house fire

6 min read
0
0
34
The Burrow family are hoping to start looking for a new home soon, after theirs was gutted by fire in December.

SCOTT HAMMOND/STUFF

The Burrow family are hoping to start looking for a new home soon, after theirs was gutted by fire in December.

A family whose house burnt down weeks before Christmas want to thank the Blenheim community while offering firsthand insurance advice to others.

Andrew and Paige Burrow along with their two young children lost all of their belongings in a fire which ripped through their house on December 5. They had been living in the rental for about two years. 

“Best advice I can say is put aside that weekly McDonald’s meal … and get insurance, it’s something worth doing,” Andrew Burrow said this week.

Since the fire, a lot of their friends had become more “fire safe” and taken out insurance which Burrow suggested could be done by “skipping that weekly Big Mac”. 

READ MORE:
Blenheim house fire causing total loss started by cigarette butt
Family with newborn ‘speechless’ after losing everything in fire

Paige Burrow, and husband Andrew Burrow, say the community has been incredibly supportive.

SUPPLIED

Paige Burrow, and husband Andrew Burrow, say the community has been incredibly supportive.

He had his “fingers crossed” that their experience would encourage more people to take out insurance, and said it’s “something I don’t wish to happen to anyone”.

The Burrows were living with extended family and “slowly” getting back on their feet, he said. 

“It’s one step at a time, eventually we will get there.”

He hoped they would start looking for their own place soon. 

Skip the weekly Big Mac and take out insurance instead, says Andrew Burrow.

KEVIN STENT/STUFF

Skip the weekly Big Mac and take out insurance instead, says Andrew Burrow.

“It’s been two months since the fire, and still today people are being amazing with help and the spirit of gifting,” he said. 

“The anxiety won’t go away for a wee while but we have our family and friends always here asking how we are. 

“Blenheim is truly an amazing community.”

Five fire crews were called to the house on Glendale Place in the early hours of the morning on December 5 and Fire and Emergency later reported a “total loss”.

The Burrow family lost all of their possessions in the house fire.

SCOTT HAMMOND/STUFF

The Burrow family lost all of their possessions in the house fire.

Paige Burrow woke up at 4am, as she always did, to feed her then 10-week-old baby, when she saw the “massive, orange glow” outside. 

She ran to wake Andrew, and they got their baby and 3-year-old to safety.

The Marlborough community rallied around them, dropping over donations, and a week after the fire, says a family friend, so they didn’t require anything else at that stage. 

Paige and Andrew Burrow, whose home burnt down before Christmas, have extended a "big thanks" to the Blenheim community.

SUPPLIED

Paige and Andrew Burrow, whose home burnt down before Christmas, have extended a “big thanks” to the Blenheim community.

The fire which gutted their home was started by a cigarette butt, prompting a warning from the fire investigator.

Fire risk management officer Greg McLean said they had been using a plastic bucket, hanging on a wooden railing at the end of the deck, to discard cigarette butts. 

The fire started in the bucket, spreading to the wooden railing and onto two outdoor lounges made of plastic and foam. 

Investigators determined the fire was started by an incorrectly disposed cigarette butt.

SCOTT HAMMOND/STUFF

Investigators determined the fire was started by an incorrectly disposed cigarette butt.

“Once the fire blew in from the large window, being wind assisted that night, it spread very quickly through the interior of the building,” McLean said. 

The plastic bucket had a small amount of water in it, but it would have been some time since it was checked, McLean said. The water could have evaporated over a couple of hot days or been absorbed by the old butts.

Donations can be made to the family at gofundme.com

Load More Related Articles
Load More By admin
Load More In Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

With 80 properties, investor says benefits of home ownership outweigh renting

Homed’s new series, Who owns the houses, will look at who is buying New Zealand̵…